Tuesday, February 21, 2012

First Mythopoetic Seeking Post

Hello World!

Welcome to Mythopoetic Seeking, my new blog devoted to exploring poetry therapy, the practice of seeking health and wholeness through both reading and creating literature.  I am a neophyte to the field, though I have for years been a called story teller which is one piece of the puzzle for me.  I'll share more about that as we go.  I hope to connect with other's interested in the field so that we can share our intentions, our wisdom, and our dreams.

Since the beginning of the year I've adopted a practice of spending a little time each day writing.  I'll launch the blog by sharing a poem about an encounter with my father that has haunted me for a lifetime.  When I was about ten he wanted to read to me the well know poem "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae, a beautiful and moving poem that I was certainly not ready for.  I lapsed into uncontrollable giggling (which was common for me) and he let me know how disgusted he was with me, how disgusting I was.

In Flanders Fields my father dreamed
Of noble verse, high minded thoughts
As I walked innocently by
He halted me to hear those words
I might not learn in school

He would be pleased I knew
If I attentive, grateful, heard
From him those noble verses read.
I giggled.
Sternly, he began again.

I really tried.  Despairingly
I tried to hold at bay
My glee and his contemptuous glare
And failing as a literary don
He taught disgust.
I took the lesson in

Oh I took up my quarrel with the foe
That lurked inside, recoiling from
The shame he planted there
And fought the futile battles till I know
That there are places less remarked
Where blood is shed, than Flanders Fields


So there it is, a new blog launched.  May we all find wholeness.  May we all be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment